How the Editors of Vogue Ukraine Survived the First Days of War With Russia

From a story on headlined “How Vogue Ukraine Survived the First Days of War With Russia”:

It’s been nine days since Russia’s invasion of Ukrainian soil. Almost our entire editorial team was in the country at that time. Now we have found the strength to tell you about how we survived those miserable days in our lives, which began with the words: “We have been attacked.”

Violeta Fedorova, Editor in Chief of

On February 24 at 6 a.m., I was woken up by a neighbor’s phone call. “We have been attacked. They are bombing the Borispill airport. If you want to come with us, pack your bags. We’re leaving.” We had to prepare to be away from our homes for up to 15 weeks—we collected documents and money and threw in clothes and water. When I locked the door of my flat behind me, I only asked God that I would come back here again. We decided to go to a country house, 50km from the capital. It took us nearly nine hours. We hoped to stay here and return in a few days. In the evening it became clear that a military airfield was still operating, though Russian soldiers were trying to take it. On February 25, we decided to get out of there by all means possible—the noise of the explosions was far away, but we understood that the invader was on their way to Kyiv. Our house was on their route there.

We decided to go to Western Ukraine, where my boy’s family lives. It took us 29 hours to cover the 800-kilometer distance. We did not sleep for nearly two days, did not stop for a minute, ate while on the road, and tried to support and comfort our children. On the road we managed to get stuck in the mud when trying to cut through some fields to bypass one traffic jam. We just missed the rocket attacks that hit the airfield in Starokostyantyniv on the evening of February 25, and we were stopped in traffic at many checkpoints between different regions. But the main thing is that we drove in the right direction. We were also constantly on a mission to find fuel. Where there was fuel, each car was allocated only 20 liters—the wait to get fuel could reach up to 50 cars. This may sound like a challenging journey, and it was also a terrifying one.

Thanks to some incredible strength of will and adrenaline, we reached our destination. Now I am just a few kilometers away from the Slovakian border, actively working at and liaising with the international press. At the same time, we are helping those who are just arriving at Zakarpattya so they can find a place to live here.

Speak Your Mind