About the Shooting of President Ronald Reagan by John Hinckley Jr.

Would-be Reagan assassin John Hinckley Jr. to be freed after 35 years

Washington Post, July 27, 2016

Some background:

Ronald Reagan, 69 days into his presidency, was leaving the Washington Hilton Hotel after speaking to the Building and Construction Workers Union of the AFL-CIO when John Hinckley Jr., standing 10 feet from the President and armed with a .22 revolver, began shooting. Hinckley’s first shot hit press secretary James Brady and other shots wounded a DC police officer, Thomas Delahanty,  and a Secret Service agent, Timothy McCarthy. The final shot hit Reagan’s car and ricocheted into the President’s chest.

Here’s a link to pictures of the shooting taken by AP photographer Ron Edmonds. His pictures won the 1982 Pulitzer Prize for Spot News Photography.

A link to John Pekkanen’s story in the August 1981 Washingtonian: “A minute-by-minute, inside-the-hospital account of what happened to President Reagan after he was shot: the critical decisions that saved his life, the human drama, the heroes, the entire untold story.” It won the 1982 National Magazine Award for Reporting.

Reagan died on June 5, 2004, at the age of 93. Here’s a link to an August 2004 Washingtonian story by John Pekkanen that looked back on the shooting: “It was one of the most dramatic stories in the city’s history. Here is what really happened—plus what doctors and nurses remember from that fateful day.”

The fate of John Hinckley Jr.? A May 12, 2015 story by Timothy M. Phelps of the Los Angeles Times:  “John Hinckley Jr. is on the verge of pulling off a feat no other American has: shooting a U.S. president and going home a free man.” And a story from the Daily Caller: “Failed Reagan Assassin Secretly Lives In Lap Of Luxury, And Nobody Seems To Know.”

How John Hinckley Lives Now: He drives a Toyota. He eats fro-yo. He shops at PetSmart. You just might run into him. – By Eddie Dean in the June 2016 Washingtonian.


Speak Your Mind